Theater part 2
The production itself was underway. This particular theater group was limited to only practicing once a week, every Friday night at a local high school in their performing arts center. While the stage and its accompanying items were impressive (seating areas, building shop, lighting fixtures, stage manager studio and its electronics, etc.), when the cast is only rehearsing once a week, there will be many challenges before it in consistency and memorization. The leads were all well heeled and versed in their characters, and the ensemble was also given a form to study about their characters and reflecting. We asked ourselves a few questions such as "What is your character's backstory?", "Do you mirror or comment on the protagonist's traits, are you a mentor, are you the conscience, an echo, or do you highlight the protagonist's flaws or positive aspects, helping them grow?" I guess this is a standard for all theater parts, but as a non speaking ancestor as filler in the background, one doesn't need to consider this as deeply as the leads or secondaries. But it's useful.
As an ancestor, I was split into our appropriate groups. My group was The Witches. I met my witch sisters, a cheerful lot. One of them saw us as being individuals which turned out to be the prototype for the Sex In The City girls (The Crank, The Twink, The Old One and The Slutty One). The Crank was the one who handing out the sarcasm and quips who would give you a shoulder pad to cry on if need be, The Twink was the literal minded yet sweetly neive one, The Old One was the one telling tales of how it was way back when and how it relates to today, and The Slutty One who validated themselves on how many wanted her yet deep inside just wanted to be loved. For some reason, I was chosen as The Slutty One / Samantha. As such, I got my costume - a white belly dancer costume complete with a coined scarf and white body paint. Since I was showing more skin than the average, I also had to cover my midsection with body paint and chest. This easily comes off with soap and water, but it was a chore putting it on. After the first dress rehearsal application, I decided I wouldn't do that again. Plus the costumer said I had to be actual white not pretend white.
The production was plagued by a lot of unforeseen problems as any is. Sickness, weather conditions and injuries were a plenty which caused many to not attend rehearsals or having to drop out completely, as well as having rehearsals canceled. I was looking for a human connection with someone, like we all do, but it wasn't as lucrative. While I stay tightly contained around all times, I did make a few friends and acquaintance as we all do in said situations. My witch coven, however, didn't become the sisterhood as implied. Some had to drop out due to sickness and/or injuries which would not allow them to continue, which was disappointing. It left just me and this other gal who barely spoke to me or others. As result, we were put into the Religious Order as they also had several drop outs and left them with stragglers. So I was going to be a belly dancer next to a pope and nun. Contradictions, yet funny if you saw it.
Four weeks before the production was to go on, the director quit. I had seen her a few times at rehearsals and when she made mass announcements to the cast, we didn't interact much but she seemed like a sweet gal. I think she was overwhelmed by the mass undertaking of it and having to wrangle so much. It's also just an observation, but I wouldn't be posting photos of myself sipping umbrella drinks on the beach of Jamaica and the like a week after quitting on social networking. Nor would I be posting that I was going to direct another show at another theater that summer. We got a better director to replace her, and she was clearly the better choice as she was a better communicator and was present a lot more than the other gal was. Then the choreographer quit about two weeks before the show was going on. I think a few understudies dropped out as well. The show went on, it was scant and pulled together at the last minute.
Unfortunately for me, this would be my last ensemble appearance, as I decided. Theater in the last year for me has been one disappointment after another when I tried to be a performer. I was banned no less than three times from three productions. The first was over some comments I made to someone asking if they had a disability (which they did) and then saying to someone she had a body a teenager would envy. The second was a guy throwing a temper tantrum over my silliness. And the third was just never outlined. I was saddened by this. Another thing has been ruined over uptight politically correct nonsense.
This makes me want to say to others that this is not about power and control, people, it's supposed to be about art and having fun. Instead it's turned into a power struggle, people sitting on their asses and doing nothing to change situations for the better. So, with that, I close the book and move on. Bad? You bet. But such is our world now. I will stay home and make TikTok videos. Dreams lost and realized, it's what it is.
Comments
Post a Comment